There's no excuse this weekend not to mow, with the weather that bit milder it is the perfect opportunity to get out there and tend to your lawn.
It is important to maintain a regular routine and mow your lawn when it needs here. Why you ask? Well there's a few reasons;
- Consistent heights allow for consistent nutrients within the grass, helping your lawn look the same throughout.
- Leaving your lawn too long can block out the sun from reaching the undergrowth and can lead to die off from below.
- Letting your lawn get too long actually ends up causing you to mow your lawn more often! When you do finally mow, you are having to take more off the leaf which will stress your lawn much more than necessary. Once the lawn gets quite long, you don't want to be taking more than a third of the leaf off at a time without stressing the plant, so you have to mow off a third, wait a few days then mow again to get it back to the optimal height. So sticking to the one third rule is extremely important in maintaining a healthy lawn.
- The mower may have difficulty cutting down the tall grass even with an increased blade height, so it will be a much more difficult task.
- A lawn that isn't mowed regularly to the recommended height is often less healthy than a manicured lawn.
- A lawn full of weak grass is more susceptible to disease, pests and weeds.
By sticking to a regular mowing and lawn maintenance routine, your lawn will be healthier and be less likely to develop problems that will only cost you more time and money in the long run.
This blog post was originally found on the Lawn Solutions Australia website.