These results will build upon the growing body of evidence that points to turf and lawns as being a most important contributor to health in our urban environments. Find below some key points to note from the research already undertaken;
- Turf reduces noise and heat which in turn helps reduce stress
- It improves air quality and helps keep our cities and towns clean
- Ever major city uses grass in parks and other public spaces as an essential part of the city landscape and to keep cities clean and local environments safer
- When people live or work close to nature they are more relaxed and therefore less susceptible to high blood pressure, stress and depression
- Families who walk in the park report better quality of family life and reduced problems with child behaviour
- Hospital patients with a view of parkland recover much quicker than patients who don't
- Residents of high rise housing with access to open green spaces enjoy a range of health benefits including better mental health, immunity to disease and greater productivity in their working lives.
- It provides a healthy clean environment that's ideal for people of all ages. Whether your need is raising a family, walking the dog or playing professional sport or just having a kick around with friends, there's no better surface
- Whatever you use it for, turf is the safest surface for outdoor leisure activities, games and sports. It reduces the incident of personal injuries through its cushioning ability
- Children in particular are much better protected when playing and failing on grass than any other surface
- Not only is turf ideal for cleaning up blood and bacteria associated with sports usage, but it also helps with spills from general outdoor entertaining whether it be a BBQ or the kids picnic birthday party
- Mowing a lawn also gets you outdoors and provides valuable cardiovascular exercise
- Psychologically, the colour green makes us feel closer to nature by being beautiful, restful and relaxing
- Beauty and nature are essential parts of the human experience and turf grasses play a vital part of the landscape with which we like to surround ourselves.
The health benefits listed above are only a smart part of the turfgrass story with many other environmental and economic benefits realised through its use.
To read more about the health benefits of turf check out the complete blog post by Lawn Solutions Australia